Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Social Capital

The focus of our class this week was social capital. Social capital can include the bonding, bridging and vertical aspects of a person’s life network. Bonding between families and close friends can be an integral part of a human’s life. These strong connections between individuals create the sense of purpose and a sense of place. Place being the niche in which a person inhabits and creates for themselves and where they usually feel most comfortable. The concept of bridging allows these connections from family and friends to branch out into the further networks building a sense of community. The vertical aspects of a person’s life incorporate the connection with higher groups of individuals such as decision makers or people of authority higher than their own.

I feel my social capital varies as my life progresses. Since I am currently enrolled in full time school there is less time than ever to keep the connections I have made in my past active. However, I have opened up even more connections at my university to higher people who have access to potential employers. I have also found that I have been calling my friends and family much less than usual and as a result they call me even less. I feel bad that I don’t talk to them as much but I really don’t have time for them and I hope that they don’t take my lack of communication as disinterest. There is also the fact that I am not planning on staying in my current city since I will probably leave to find a job elsewhere. My decision for leaving and my lack of time can contribute to a lower desire to create long-term ties to the community such as joining community groups. I do have close connections with some friends and my boyfriend who I am able to spend time with and these connections are what I use to try and maintain balance in my life.

No comments: