Thursday, April 10, 2008

Am I a part of a sustainable community?

After completing the survey from the Facebook group ‘What community means to me!’ it made me think of my current community. I thought back to my childhood where I grew up on a rural road and everyone knew each other well. I could wander around my neighbourhood play with the other neighbourhood kids and would help out my neighbours for my hard earned cash to spend at the store. I really felt like I was part of a community and my family and parents were instrumental in forming that community. But now I live in an apartment where most people don’t know my name and my landlord is not necessarily someone I trust or would like to get to know. I feel like for me to feel like I was a part of a community I would need to know my neighbours. Even though I may be a part of other communities like the Royal Roads BSc. Environmental Science community, I spend a lot of my time at home and it would be nice to have that same connection here. Talking about this brings to mind the notion that sustainable development must include high density housing where more people should be living in apartments and condos. But if most people who have apartments have similar situations as mine then we are solving one problem by reducing our footprint but creating another by distancing ourselves from the community and the environment. It seems odd to me that I live closer than ever to several people yet I know them much less than I did in my rural childhood home where I lived farther away.

No comments: